Once Upon a Time in the Vest

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

V 13 N. 119 Geoff Pietsch, A Good Friend I Never Met, R.I.P.

 Dec. 27, 2023


Geoff Pietsch passed away December 24.  We met through this blog and wrote back and forth for at least 5 years.  Geoff was so knowledgeable about our sport and so honest and insightful on many subjects away from running and track and field, that I could turn to him anytime for advice and comment.  His thoughts have often been expressed in this blog.  

Geoff lived, taught, and coached in Florida and I think we were initially connected by mutual friend Bruce Kritzler.  We shared our Germanic origins, our love of running,  and our interest in the world outside of sport.  He often sent articles that were of mutual interest, and he connected me with many others of similar background.  A month or so ago, he sent his final message that doctors had given him a few months to live.  It was a farewell message, and I responded in one of those 'what can I possibly say?' replies and told him that he would be in my thoughts to the end and after. 


Here is one of those last messages.

George,
  The end is near for me. Oncologist says two months max. chemo might have extended a little - so I could spend it having chemo. NO! At home hospice ahead but no pain yet. But discomfort.
   So glad I got to know you!!! 
    No need to post on website of course. 
   Lots of wonderful messages from former students and runners. Moving! I always tried really hard to make them idealists.
    Author Ed Abbey's father, Paul Revere Abbey, had a great epitaph, which he adopted.
HATE INJUSTICE, DEFY THE POWERFUL, SPEAK FOR THE VOICELESS.
You could put on your site. 
  Thanks for being you.
Geoff

In the time of our acquaintance we discovered that we had both run in the 1978 Boston Marathon.  He ran well, perhaps his PR?  2:33:55 in 259th place.   I  blew up that day and finished exactly 1000 places behind him in 1259th with a 2:51:50.   Perhaps we ran close by each other in the early stages, but we never knew.  I still have no idea of my splits.  I do remember walking off course after Heartbreak Hill, but very little of anything else that day. I do know I did not take a bus or subway to get to the finish.  

As proof of our respective finishes, I'm pasting some pages from the 'Racers Recordbook' which was sent out to all the entrants of that day in 1978.  2047 men and 29 women broke three hours in that cool and cloudy environment.  Hometown boy, Bill Rodgers won the men's race in 2:10:13 and Gayle Barron of Atlanta won the women's race in 2:44:52

 



                            You can find Geoff's name at the bottom of this page. He was 40 years old.




Back Cover, Bill Rodgers on Podium


                                                                       
My place,  1259th

Happy Trails, Geoff



Comments from Geoff's friends:

Geoff was one of those who were there when it was all happening in that long ago running world of the 60s and 70s.. As a teacher, coach, and athlete, he was talented, eloquent, and steadfast, and the world is a smaller place without him. RIP, old friend.

John Parker
(author of 'Once a Runner', ed.)


 I received this email this evening. 

Geoff was at the reunion on Friday night last year and was so excited to be there.
He had great stories about his time training with the FTC and just his time competing in the 1970s and 80's. He coached at Miami Ransom Everglades for many years until he retired to Gainesville in the late 90s.
He was a great champion of the sport and I knew him from my days running in the early 80s against his team. We got lucky one year and beat his team for PK Yonge first and only state championship in school history.
He compiled the rankings during his time as head coach and wrote a personal note about me to my coach which I have kept.
Ricky Quintana


 Thanks for giving this insight into a person I had heard of but never knew.  We are losing too many of our running pioneers.  Bill Schnier


Geoff would show up for morning 7mi run with Barry Brown in the late 70's, when he brought his high school team to Gainesville for the Florida Relays. He loved to talk track and running! He always had a place for me to stay when I was in Miami, always without a car. When I was going to visit Phil and Karen MacHarg in Venezuela (and Brazil), he arranged a place for me to stay closer to the Embassy, so I could get a visa.
About the same time I was leaving Gainesville to coach, Geoff was retiring here. I would run into him when I came back for track meets. And anytime I read the Gainesville Sun I would see a letter to the editor from Geoff. His thoughts were always well researched,  accurate, and championing the underdog. He said they limited him to one letter every two weeks!
Early November he told me he wouldn't be able to see the ncaa region cross country meet on UF golf course. He said he had a constant stream of doctor visits and was too weak to walk the course. I sent him photos and video from the race. Figured if he couldn't come to the meet he was in bad shape.

Bruce Kritzler

No comments:

V 14 N. 28 Some Spirited Writing and Old Track Photos

  I've recently discovered a writer James Runcie who has some serious gifts with the pen.  His series on an Anglican priest named Sidney...