Once Upon a Time in the Vest

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

V 13 N 79 Hommage to a Living French Champion, Jules Ladoumegue, 300,000 on the Champs Elysees in 1935

 


This past week I received a note from my good friend John Cobley with a few pages of translation he has been working on of late.  John recently wrapped up his blog Racingpast.ca, but I think it can still be seen online.  For a hobby he translates Russian poetry, but lately has been working on translating the autobiography of Jules Ladoumegue, the former French middle distance hero of the Republique.    

After John's translation I've included a link to a story we did about five years on the same subject.  It began with John's challenge to identify the picture above, and how through my friends and contacts was able to solve the riddle.  Hope you enjoy.  George Brose


                                   Paris Parade of over 300,000 Celebrates a Runner

                                                             by John Cobley

Parades across the world are often military, the Russian May Day Parade for example.

But there are many other types of parade—processions of people along a road that

celebrate historical events (the end of World War 2) or promote groups of society (the

Brazilian Rio Carnival Parade). And of course there is always a Parade of Nations to

open the Olympic Games.

A unique parade was held in Paris, France, on November 11, 1935. It was organized by

the newspaper Paris-Soir to pay homage to a runner who had been banned for life some

four years previously. Jules Ladoumègue had captured the hearts of his nation when he

had broken six world records and won an Olympic silver medal. A very sensitive and

modest man, “Julot” nevertheless appealed to the French, who were still recovering from

German occupation in World War 1. He also appealed to the public with his elegant

running style.

In the days before November 11, Paris-Soir promoted this parade: “All the champions,

all the stars, all the sportsmen will march in procession tomorrow for Ladoumègue. At

10:15 the great French champion will run the Paris route from Porte Maillot to the

Concorde. This 3K route will include the length of the famous Champs Elysées.”

Due to the effective promotion of this parade—and of course thanks to “Julot’s”

popularity--the event was hugely successful. The turnout was estimated to be between

300,000 and 400,000. Paris-Soir estimated the higher figure. And although carefully

organized, the parade became so chaotic that Ladoumègue, as he described later in his

book Dans ma foulée, was barely able to complete the course.

Below is the passage recounting his experience. He managed to run fast and show off the

famous style, despite the difficulties he had in completing the 3K course. He describes

the exhaust he had to breathe in, and the chaos of people, and bicycles and vehicles. “My

run was acrobatic,” he writes.


From Jules Ladomègue, Dans ma foulée (1953), pp. 173-5

On November 11, 1935, I had to perform the most beautiful run of my life. I say

beautiful because I ran it in the heart of France. Gaston Bénac took a chance on that day

to achieve the greatest public athletic success. Paris-Soir undertook the organization; the

press adopted the project with a touching solidarity. Parisians were invited to come and

demonstrate against the bias in the Federation [the Federation that had banned

Ladoumègue for life] and to express their sympathy for me.

Charles Poulenard, one of those who didn’t accept my disappearance [from

international athletics] easily, came to find me at 08:00. I had to be at Porte Maillot at

09:00, but I couldn’t make it till 09:30. I was hidden under a blanket in Georges

Carpentier’s vehicle. He couldn’t clear a path because of his own celebrity status—and

also because from the Place de Concorde to the Porte Maillot, a distance of about 3K,


There were 300,000 people. From time to time I risked a peep and then covered myself

again in fear. We finally arrived at the rendez-vous.

There was a great shout! The orderly process, although extremely important was

overwhelmed, and the vehicle invaded. Berretrot, with a loudspeaker that resembled a

pavilion of phonographs, was trying out his legendary voice. The news correspondents

were working with their sleeves rolled up. Actors, sportsmen, and all the Parisian

celebrities were at Porte Maillot. By chance I caught glimpses of Préjean, Biscot, Koval,

Blanchar, Fresnay, Chiron, Pladner, Tarin, Détroyat, F. Pélissier, Liénart, Chevalier.

Maurice Chevalier was the starter. He arrived at last with clusters of people clinging to

his vehicle.

He raised his green felt hat and then lowered it.

I started fast, although I didn’t have to, and I had to find a path between crowds of

vehicles, motorcycles and bicycles.

The public wanted to touch me, or at least see me. They got in my way. Vehicles

were impeded and had to stop and start. The Prefect of Police in his covered vehicle,

resembled the captain of a navy in distress. His authority and dignity left a glimmer of

hope in the procession.

La Place d’Étoile. I was getting used to the horns, trumpets, whistles and bravos.

Behind the Prefect, Gaston Bénac had finally joined in. The motorcycle agents were

clearing a 5m space in front of me. To my right and left the Veloclub de Levallois

surrounded me in formation. Along the Champs Elysées I passed the Fouquet at 25KPH.

It seemed I was holding the steering wheel of my own vehicle. My run was sometimes

acrobatic.

Everywhere there were shouts and shouts and words so genteel and human.

Flowers were thrown in front of me, filling me with their perfume before they were

crushed on the road. I would have liked to embrace everyone. And I was running,

running. Leduc and Lapébie directed me. I couldn’t see anything. Lapébie fell, knocked

over by a vehicle. It wasn’t serious. He quickly caught up, smiling in response to my

concerned look.

Turning point at the Champs-Elyssées! Still a kilometer to go. I saw the fountains

weeping their water under the pale sunrays. In all this excitement, I began to suffer as I

was continuously entering a hellish trail of exhaust fumes. It was a long run for me, this

3K. I kept my form. I wanted everyone to see my running style vividly; it was the only

gift I had to offer them.

Lifted by this public affection that also numbed my suffering, I was going to

complete my marathon. Others have done it before me, but am I not there for the last

time?

It’s terrible to suffer so close to crowds of people. I resembled a patient

surrounded by visitors. It’s also very hard to smile when you are at the end of your tether.

I heard people in the caravan talking among themselves. I heard “Concorde” as if it were

a metro or bus station. It was then that I heard the mounting clamour. With what little

clarity I had left, I considered myself happy! 200,000 people were pronouncing my name.

I was in such communion with them that I was also saying my name. Today my name

belongs to the street, not to me. I turned to the left, to the right and then once more to the

left. Before me was the great portal of the Tuilleries. My runner’s heart stopped as the


hands of a clock are stopped when its owner dies. Choking, inspired, the course left me

there!

Paris, your streets have shown me vividly the love of your people. Not being a

painter or a musician, I can only inscribe my little story on the ground. And of course it

will disappear.

I returned home protected by the police. Still enclosed in my dream world, I was

hardly talking. In my bath I surveyed on my body the marks left by the affection and

excitement of the public. There were even bites. I considered them medals, and I recalled

the agent who had lifted me up after plucking me from the grips of the crowd. I also

remembered Marcel Thil, my bodyguard, who had lifted me into his red Amilcar

automobile like a gangster stealing his loot. I saw Maurice Chevalier, a prisoner in the

Concorde, make his way singing


"He has such tiny footsie-wootsies

Ladoumègue…"


And Carpentier, whom I met for dinner. Everyone was tidying up their clothes

and maintaining their enthusiasm. That was great!

Names

Georges Carpentier, French world-champion boxer

Maurice Chevalier, world-famous French singer and actor

Gaston Bénac, leading French sports journalist

Charles Poulenard, French sprinter and coach of Ladoumègue


Here is the link to our earlier piece on this event.

Our Jules Ladoumegue Story



No comments:

V 14 N. 28 Some Spirited Writing and Old Track Photos

  I've recently discovered a writer James Runcie who has some serious gifts with the pen.  His series on an Anglican priest named Sidney...