Once Upon a Time in the Vest

Saturday, March 6, 2021

V 11 N. 14 A short quick laugh from Steve Price

 We've had sad news to report of late, so I thought I would try to make up for that with this note from Steve Price



Roy Mason, Steve Price, George Brose
at the Silver Cafe in Franklin, OH on our
way to the Dogwood Relays  1998.  The mugs
were empty, time to hit the road!


"Today I reupped my subscription to T@ F News ( print version , yep I’m old ).

I first started subscribing in 1956. My first issue included a list (but no pics) of the top US hammer throws. I immediately grabbed my dad's carpentry hammer to give it a go.
Until I got the next issue with a picture of a hammer thrower, I thought I wasn’t too bad at this......."


Steve Price


For those of you who do not know Steve Price, he was coach of the Kettering Striders in the mid 60's and 70's,  went on to coach the first men's cross country team at the U. of Dayton,  was an assistant national coach in Bahrain,  also was assistant US team coach in the Russian dual indoors in Moscow when Mary Decker threw her spikes at a Russian runner.  When the reporters asked him what he was going to do to Mary, he said, he would make sure that she was on the plane next day.  He then moved on to Bowling Green State University (where his friends did their best to keep him out of trouble, unsuccessfully sometimes), retired, and began coaching part time at Findlay University where he stopped at nursing homes on his way to the track to play piano for the old folks..  Everywhere he went, great runners evolved.  You also learned to say grace before meals on track trips, and to wait to eat until everyone had been served.   He now lives in Piqua, OH and proofreads our blog when he isn't selling his advice door to door.  His quips run from the profound to the profane.   ex.  "If you don't love your neighbor, then you don't love God."  One of his favorite sayings was, "If you don't know anything about sex, bluegrass, or track and field, I don't want to talk to you."  Oh, yeah, one of the other ones, was, "I ain't had this much fun since the hogs ate my little brother."  Keep 'em coming, Steve.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha, er lol. Thanks George, and Steve!

V 14 N. 25 Ramona, Oklahoma Just Became the Center of World for Discus Throwing, Displacing Antilope Valley, CA

                                                                     Mykalos Alekna-Lithuania Antilope Valley in Southern California has bee...