Once Upon a Time in the Vest

Saturday, August 15, 2020

V 10 N. 62Covid 19 and Spanish Flu 1918, a Comparison

This article comes from a long time sportswriter Tom Archdeacon from the Dayton Daily News, my hometown in Ohio.  It is a compendium of facts about the 1918 Spanish Flu which killed over 600,000 Americans   (195,000 in one month) and 50 million world wide and how that epidemic affected the sports world in those times.  Even Babe Ruth contracted the disease but survived.  Some did not.  Hockey's Stanley Cup was cancelled just before the final game in 1919 after the death of one of the Montreal Canadiens.

Archdeacon grew up in rural Ohio, Mercer County.  Got his start in Florida but came back to Ohio almost 40 years ago and has been a fixture in Dayton ever since.  He's covered everything in the sportsworld.  It it the human interest, the back story that fills most of his columns, but this on the 1918-19 pandemic is more of a general facts type of story.  I knew of some of these events, but this story has brought those and many other stories together.  Not a single thing is mentioned about our sport of track and field, but this is still an important read.

Some History We Don't Want to Repeat by Tom Archdeacon    Clik Here

George,
     Just got around to reading this today. Wow! Brought back memories. Not of the Spanish flu; I'm not that ancient.😀 But Tom Archdeacon's byline brought back memories of when he worked for the old Miami News and I wrote a column on Running, twice a month, for the paper's Thursday People/Sports section. I never worked at the paper's office; I just ran my copy down (often did so, literally). But somehow I got to know Tom fairly well. And always loved his long form pieces. The Miami News was the city's evening newspaper so the Herald had already reported the overnight sports results. 
    Did you know Tom? My recollection is that at one point Sports Illustrated tried to hire him, I think to cover baseball, but he didn't want to be constantly on the road. Probably the first time SI ever got turned down by a young sportswriter. And, unfortunately, the Miami News, like virtually every other evening newspaper, expired a few years later. I knew Tom had gone to Ohio, but I don't recall if I knew that, by doing so, he was going home. Happy for him. 
Geoff Pietsch

1 comment:

Mike Gregory said...

George---This current pandemic brings back sadnes to my family(my dad's side). My dad's mother--my grandmother died of the Spanish flu in Nov 1918. My dad was only 5 yrs old, his middle brother was 3 and his youngest brother was 1.

V 14 N. 25 Ramona, Oklahoma Just Became the Center of World for Discus Throwing, Displacing Antilope Valley, CA

                                                                     Mykalos Alekna-Lithuania Antilope Valley in Southern California has bee...