Once Upon a Time in the Vest

Thursday, April 2, 2020

V 10 N. 26 The NCAA Rules About 2021 Spring Sports


I've been jawing with others about this extra year of eligibility that has been put out there by the NCAA for spring sports.  Lots of speculation and what if's as to how this would affect scholarships, Title IX and so on.  Here are a few things that have gone back and forth.  Feel free to contribute you thoughts.   The offer does not apply to Division III athletes.   I don't know about Division II.



The following came  from Bill Schnier with an explanation from a staff assistant at U. of Cincinnati.  I will not put this person's name here  in case it might cost the person's job if there is some innaccuracy.


   If you are wondering what the new NCAA legislation means regarding an extra season for all spring athletes due to the coronavirus, the ( ---------------), has responded to my questions.  I hope that helps.

Hi Coach –
Here’s the breakdown:

1.        Outdoor T&F Student Athletes automatically received a redshirt since they did not compete in a single outdoor meet. They did not need the waiver/relief that was granted for a season of competition.
2.       The new ruling creates an opportunity for a 6th year for all spring sport athletes – if they missed a spring season in addition to 2020 – either prior to or in the future. The reason they missed the other season is irrelevant now.
3.       Correct –institutions have the discretion of awarding aid in the extra year – it would be subject to cancellation or reduction of scholarship legislation for anyone who is not currently a senior.
4.       The waiver allows for an increase in squad sizes for the 20-21 year only – and only applies to baseball as they are the only ones with an NCAA-mandated limit. All other sports would need to work with their campuses on applicable squad-sizes as title ix participation and financial aid laws would continue to apply. A one-year anomaly is generally accepted as long as an institution returns back the ensuing year.

Let me know if you have any questions!




My  response:  Dang,  a sixth year redshirt.  Could be working on their Phd. by this time.


from Bruce Kritzler,  former coach at NE Lousiana and UNC Wilmington


Bill,
Only problem I can see is if more men than women want to come back for the extra year. Title IX/ Gender Equity issues.

Bruce

Finally a little advice from a Tennessee pastor.


I trust God...and I wear my seat belt.
I trust God...and I wear a motorcycle helmet.
I trust God...and there are enough life jackets in my boat for everyone on board.
I trust God...and I use oven mitts with really hot dishes.
I trust God...and I lock my house at night.
I trust God...and I have smoke detectors in my house.
I trust God...and I take my prescribed medicines.
I trust God...and I will follow the best guidelines to share the task of flattening the curve.
Acting with caution and wisdom does not indicate a lack of trust in God.

I will add   Trust God and look both ways before you cross the street.

2 comments:

Bill Schnier said...

Evidently the Tennessee pastor has opted to follow an authority higher than their governor.

Russ said...

This is trivial, but some schools out here in SoCal got in a meet that first weekend in March. LB St. Beach Opener.

V 14 N. 23 My First Track Coach Died This Week - Ed Jones R.I.P.

                                                                                                                                    1935-202...