1. John Lawler' (Abilene Christian) So ......9:01.1 (MR)
2. Pat Traynor (Villanova)...... So ......9:01.6 (also under old MR)
3. Dave Martin (Michigan) .... Sr .......9:07.5
4. Steve Moorhead (Penn State) .. Jr.........9:12.0
5. Don Tretheway’(Western Washington) ..Sr ......9:17.9
6. Ron Davis (San José State).. So .......9:17.9
7. Bob Mack (Yale).. So .......9:24.5
8. Bill Peck (Oxy).... Sr .......9:24.7
(defending champ Clark 2nd in 3 mile
These are the only results we could find for this race. Schul isn't seen in this photo. The Houston runner may be Pat Clohessy. ed.
|F: 3,000 meters; D: 25 JUN|
|4||John Lawler (AUS)||9:12.6|
In conversation with Bob Schul about this race last October, Bob recalled that he may have tangled with Lawler in this race. But he wasn't sure if the collision was with John or someone else. He did remember that he got knocked off stride, and it may have cost him a place. However the results here indicate that they were probably close together when John went down, so it seems highly likely it was the two of them. When I brought this to John's attention he was not aware that it was Schul. One of those little incidents in a long ago past. I could not find reference to this race in Bob's autobiography, "In the Long Run" ed.
Sorkin would go on to have a somewhat checkered career as a sports agent. You can google his name and find out for yourself. ed.